Thursday, April 11, 2013

Eczema and Gluten Free

Mid December my little man broke out in a rash. I had put an outfit that I had not washed on him, and I thought maybe he just has sensitive skin, but he never cleared up. He began to scratch at his head he had scratches and scabs all over his poor little head. Then I had asked a friend of our, who is a  PA, about it. She told me it was eczema. To my thinking it was just a skin condition, there was nothing that could really be  done about it. But I hit the Internet hard with research about it. I knew there had to be something to ease the itch for my baby. In the picture below you can see some of the rash, but it was worse than it appears in the picture. All these pictures were taken as I was dressing him for bed.



But I found the following article:
http://drrodneyford.com/extra/documents/172-curing-eczema.html

"My research has been in milk, egg and gluten reactions. These food allergies cause a wide number of different symptoms (where you get attacked depends upon how your immune system is dealing with these food allergens). I have subsequently discovered that gluten (a protein in wheat, rye and barley) is now one of the commonest causes of adverse food reactions"

"Eczema is an inflammation of the skin. In children it is usually due to some sort of allergic manifestation. In children it is also has the name atopic dermatitis . About one in five children are troubled with eczema. Some get it really badly. In my experience about 80% of eczema is due to food allergy – so it can be cured.
Most infant eczema is related to food allergy"

The above paragraphs stood out to me. Could this be my baby's problem? Surly, not! It's not like he was eating bread, or pastas! He hadn't ate anything with gluten in it! Other than just starting to introduce applesauce, and sweet potatoes he was exclusively breastfed. I have heard of babies being sensitive to dairy products in their mama's milk, but could gluten find it's way into my milk supply? I contacted a lactation consultant, she told me she had never read or heard of anything. 

I began to pray for wisdom, was it the gluten? Or dairy? I just knew in my mama's heart that it was gluten. I quit eating anything with gluten. I was prepared to stick with it for a month, and if I still saw no improvements, I would switch to dairy.


But after just one day I saw small improvements! 


After only 2 full days, my baby looked so much better! He would soon be clear, and stop scratching at his poor little head!


After three weeks he was totally clear! (I didn't take the picture until 4 weeks though) The red spot on the back of his neck is a birthmark, I have the exact same one. 

I am still gluten free, and loving it, most of the time... every once and awhile I slip something small in, and he doesn't break out. My thinking is that it's just not enough to sneak it's way into my milk supply! 

I often thank God for his guidance in this area! I am so thankful I found that article! 

Blessings!
Ashley


Psalm 34:19  The righteous person may have many troubles, but the LORD delivers him from them all;








No comments:

Post a Comment